Eduardo Ledesma PhD.
Eduardo Ledesma was born in Barcelona (Spain) in 1972 and moved to Chicago in 1984. After a decade as a practicing Structural Engineer he became a scholar of literature, film and new media.
- 20th and 21st century Latin American (including Brazil) and Iberian literature and film. Catalan literature and film. Media and cultural studies. Modernism(s). Avant-garde and neo-avant-garde poetry. Electronic literature and new media arts (digital poetry, hypertext, blog-narratives, locative fiction, cyberculture). Documentary and experimental film. The intersection between technology and disability studies. Word and Image relations. Luso-Hispanic transatlantic connections. Intersections between engineering and culture (science and technology studies, Digital Humanities)
WORK IN PROGRESS:
Cinemas of Marginality: Experimental, Avant-Garde and Documentary Film in Ibero-America. – Book length project. Under Advance Contract SUNY Press.
"'Online Activist Eco-Poetry': Techno-Cannibalism, Digital Indigeneity, and Ecological Resistance in Brazil.." The Internet as a Contestatory Medium in Latin America. Ed. Hilda Chacón. Routledge (Forthcoming 2017).
"Intermediality and Hispano-Argentine Experimental Film: Subverting Media, Transgressing Borders with Super 8.” (forthcoming Revista Hispánica Moderna).
"Where Violence meets Aesthetics: Charting Chilean Experimental Cinema from Raúl Ruiz to Pablo Larrain." - Article. (In Progress).
“Teaching Experimental Latin American Poetry: Visual, Concrete, Performative, Digital.”Teaching Contemporary Latin American Poetries. Eds. Jill S. Kuhnheim and Melanie Nicholson. MLA “Options in Teaching” Series. (In Progress).
See selected completed publications below.
- PhD Romance Languages and Literatures. Harvard University. 2012.
- MA Hispanic Literature. University of Illinois-Chicago. 2006.
- MS Structural Engineering. Universitat Politecnica de Catalunya. 1999.
- BS Civil Engineering. University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. 1995.
Distinctions / Awards
- IPRH Prize for Research in the Humanities 2015-16
- Center for Advanced Study - Fellowship (Spring 2017).
- Campus Research Board Book Publication Subvention Award (Spring 2016).
- Campus Research Board Humanities Release Time Spring 2015
- Campus Research Board Research Assistant Funds (2016-17).
- Fulbright Research Grant (Spain) - 2009-10
- SPAN 326 Fiction Film in Latin America (Contemporary Narratives of Globalization) - FALL 2016
- SPAN 468 - Impure Genres: Latin American Fantasy, Sci-Fi and Horror in Literature and Film (1900-2016) - FALL 2016
- SPAN 535 Seminar in Spanish-American Lit. (From Futurism to Facebook: Technology and Latin American Cultural Production) FALL 2014
- SPAN 572 Theory and Literary Criticism (including Latin American and Iberian Cultural Studies) FALL 2014
- SPAN 535 Seminar in Spanish-American Lit. (The Latin American and Iberian Documentary Film)
- SPAN 316 Latin American Literatures II: The Latin American Short Story (Science, Technology and the Occult)
- SPAN 326 Cultural Studies in the Americas II: Contemporary Luso-Hispanic Film