Anna María Escobar Ph.D.
- Language (Variation and) Change -- Contact Linguistics and Bilingualism -- Grammaticalization and Semantic Change -- Spanish Sociolinguistics / Dialectology -- Spanish-Quechua Contact -- Andean Sociolinguistics
My academic pursuits focus primarily on offering a new interpretation of the history of Andean Spanish by initiating innovative social and linguistic analyses of colonial documents and modern varieties of Andean Peruvian Spanish, where the majority of Andean Spanish speakers reside. Although my research has focused primarily on the socio-historical and linguistic study of the development of Andean Spanish, the wider aim has been to understand the diversity of human verbal behavior in plurilingual societies, and how it influences change in language generally. As evidenced by my publications, this intellectual journey has evolved as it is informed by the latest theories on how languages change in contexts of language contact and social competition; by research in general theoretical linguistics, including cross-linguistic studies focused on grammatical change; and by my reading and learning from the work of scholars in other disciplines who focus on sociocultural history, especially in Latin America and other ex-colonial regions.
- State University of New York at Buffalo, Ph.D. in Linguistics
- Université de Grenoble III, France, Licence de Linguistique
- Pontificia Universidad Católica del Perú, Bachiller
Distinctions / Awards
- LAS Dean's Award for Excellence in Undergraduate Teaching, 2001-2002
- Reading Group: Social Dynamics of Language Variation and Change
- Spanish Morphology
- Hispanic Sociolinguistics
- Contact Linguistics Seminar
- Dynamics of Language Variation and Change Seminar
- Grammaticalization Seminar
- Oral Varieties of Spanish
- Spanish in the U.S.
- Structure of Spanish
- Introduction to Spanish Linguistics
- Practical Review of Spanish Grammar
In The News
Prof. Anna María Escobar has been awarded the very competitive campus award for Excellence in Graduate Student Mentoring.