707 S Matthew Ave. Urbana, IL 61801
I was born and raised in Bilbao, Spain where I pursued my B.A. Degree on Spanish Studies and Literature. I studied one year abroad at the University of Leeds in the UK. I arrived in the US in 2014 to pursue a M.A. Degree on Spanish Literature and Culture. I am currently doing my PhD which focuses on the representation of sexual discourses in turn-of-the-century Peninsular works.
Peninsular Literature, 19th and 20th centuries. Gender studies, studies about national identities. Fin-de-siècle sexology.
I examine the inter-relation of foreign discourses on sexology, sex, sexuality in the creation of a national identity. My study offers a new critical understanding of the way that “Spanishness” has been defined in relation to the foreign and discourses on sex. It provides a new perspective through which to consider literary works interacting in a context of scientific advancement. My dissertation examines the role that translation, cultural reappropriation, and publishing play in the attempts to establish Spanish scientific authority, drawing on historical accounts of the history of sexology.
M.A. University of Illinois, USA
B.A. University of Deusto, Spain
University of Leeds, UK
- School of Literatures, Cultures and Linguistics Dissertation Completion Fellowship. AY 2020-2021.
- Graduate College Conference Travel Grant. Fall 2015, Fall 2019.
- Spanish and Portuguese Department Summer Research Fellowship. Summer 2019, Summer 2018.
- Spanish and Portuguese Department Conference Travel Grant. Fall 2015, Spring 2017.
- Spanish and Portuguese Graduate Organization Conference Travel Grant. Fall 2017, Spring 2019.
- Erasmus Study Grant, 2012.
Awards and Honors
- Campus Excellence in Undergraduate Teaching Award. 2021.
- College of Liberal Arts and Sciences’ Award for Excellence in Undergraduate Teaching by Graduate Teaching Assistants. 2021.
- Spanish and Portuguese Graduate Student Teaching Award. 2021.
- Best Graduate Paper Award (Department of Spanish and Portuguese) 2018 for "La 'mujer Ford': la modernidad no deseada en La Venus mecánica (1929) de José Díaz Fernández"
- Best Graduate Paper Award (Department of Spanish and Portuguese) 2016 for "Mujeres de maíz: el uso del maíz como instrumento de identidad nacional femenina en Cocina ecléctica (1890) de Juana Manuela Gorriti"
- List of Teachers Ranked as Excellent by their Students, University of Illinois: Fall 2014, Spring 2015, Fall 2015*, Spring 2016*, Fall 2016*, Spring 2017*, Summer 2017, Fall 2017*, Spring 2018*, Fall 2018, Spring 2019*, Fall 2019* (*: outstanding rating)
- Asociación Internacional de Literatura y Cultura Femenina Hispánica (AILCFH) award for graduate students, 2015.
- Premio Extraordinario Fin de Carrera, 2014, University of Deusto
- Graduated with Honors (Honors Program), 2014, University of Deusto.
- Premio Extraordinario de Bachillerato del País Vasco, 2010
- SPAN 103, Intermediate Spanish (Fall 2014)
- SPAN 122, Intensive Elementary Spanish (Summer 2015)
- SPAN 141, Introduction to Spanish Grammar (Spring 2016)
- SPAN 141 (online) Introduction to Spanish Grammar (Summer 2020)
- SPAN 204, Advanced Spanish Grammar (Spring 2015, Fall 2015, Fall 2016, Spring 2017, Fall 2018, Spring 2019)
- SPAN 204 (online), Advanced Spanish Grammar (Summer 2017)
- SPAN 208, Oral Spanish (Fall 2017, Spring 2018)
- SPAN 228, Spanish Composition (Fall 2016, Spring 2019, Fall 2019)
- SPAN 232, Spanish in the Community (Fall 2017)
Instructor of record (responsible for syllabus design)
- SPAN 232, Spanish in the Community (Fall 2019, Spring 2020)
- BASQ 402, Readings in Basque Studies (Spring 2017)
- Intensive Foreign Language Instruction Program (IFLIP): Intermediate Spanish (Summer 2018)
- Intensive Foreign Language Instruction Program (IFLIP): Elementary Spanish (Summer 2019, Winter 2020, Winter 2021)
- “Mis crónicas del coronavirus” collection of poems, Coronavirus and Emotions Dossier LL Journal / Spring 2020 Edition.
- “La reunión” short story, Revista El Cid, 2020.
- (Submitted) "La 'mujer Ford': la modernidad no deseada en La Venus mecánica (1929) de José Díaz Fernández" Revista de Estudios de Género y Sexualidades.
- Translation editor of Raíces y flores: vida y obra de la bibliotecaria afrocubana Marta Therry by Abdul Alkalimat and Kate Williams, Javier Ramón Santovenia Díaz, Translator.