Born and raised in the Basque Country (north of Spain), Ander attended the University of the Basque Country and earned a B.A. in Linguistics and English in 2016. He later joined UIUC to pursue graduate studies in Hispanic Linguistics that same year. His status as a bilingual speaker of Basque and Spanish since childhood has driven his research interests towards the study of bilingualism in minoritized contexts, focusing on phonology. As a first-generation student, his determination to help others has motivated him to serve as a student mentor in UIUC's La Casa Cultural Latina and hold leadership roles within his department and campus government, as well as within the Linguistic Society of America. In his spare time, he enjoys hiking, going to the beach, and reading crime fiction.
- Bilingual speech production and perception
- L1, Heritage & L2 phonologies
- Speech (co-)articulation
- Spanish and Basque dialectology
- Classroom pronunciation
Ander's field of specialization is the phonetics and phonology of bilingualism. His dissertation is being supervised by Dr. José Ignacio Hualde and Dr. Ryan Shosted, and investigates language-specific acoustic and aerodynamic phenomena in language contact situations with a focus on Spanish speakers in the US. His goal is to better understand the acquisition of coarticulatory patterns in second and heritage languages and propose a new phonological model to account for such type of acquisition. His dissertation project has received the special distinction of the 2021 Douglas A. Kibbee Prize in the School of Literatures, Cultures, and Linguistics at UIUC for being "of particular scholarly significance and quality."
- Ph.D., Hispanic Linguistics with a double concentration in Second Language Acquisition & Teacher Education and Romance Linguistics, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2018-in progress.
- M.A. (with Distinction), Hispanic Linguistics, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2016-2018.
- B.A. (summa cum laude), Linguistics and English, Universidad del País Vasco/Euskal Herriko Unibertsitatea (UPV/EHU), 2012-2016.
- Study Abroad, Fort Lewis College (USA), AY 2014-2015.
- ACTFL Oral Proficiency Interview (OPI) Tester (Full Certification in Spanish), 2021-in progress.
- Teaching Basque Language and Culture in Higher Education, Etxepare Basque Institute & UPV/EHU, 2020.
Awards and Honors
- List of Teachers Ranked as Excellent by their Students at UIUC: 11 out of 11 semesters of instruction. (2016-2021)
- "Outstanding" mention (provided to the 10% top-rated instructors): 10 out of 11 semesters of instruction.
- Campus Award for Excellence in Undergraduate Teaching, Office of the Provost, UIUC.
- LAS Award for Excellence in Undergraduate Teaching, College of Liberal Arts & Sciences, UIUC.
- Spanish and Portuguese Graduate Student Teaching Award, Department of Spanish and Portuguese, UIUC.
- SLCL Dissertation Completion Fellowship, School of Literatures, Cultures, and Linguistics (SLCL), UIUC.
- Douglas A. Kibbee Prize in SLCL for 'most outstanding' SLCL Dissertation Completion Fellowship Recipient, SLCL, UIUC.
- Darlene Wolf Fellowship, Department of Spanish and Portuguese, UIUC. (*deferred due to fellowship conflict)
- LAS Impact Award, College of Liberal Arts & Sciences, UIUC.
2020: Timothy J. Rogers Memorial Fellowship in Research and Leadership Achievement, Department of Spanish and Portuguese, UIUC.
2019: Teaching Excellence Award 2018-2019, Illinois Student Government, UIUC.
2016: Extraordinary Graduation Award / Premio Extraordinario Fin de Carrera, University of the Basque Country (UPV/EHU).
2015: Tutor of the Year, AY 14-15, Student Success Center, Fort Lewis College.
Courses for Spanish majors and minors:
- BASQ 402: Intro to Basque Grammar
- BASQ 401: Intro to Basque Language and Culture
- SPAN 490: Laboratory Phonology
- SPAN 308: Spanish in the United States
- SPAN 303: The Sounds of Spanish
- SPAN 252: Intro to Hispanic Linguistics
- SPAN 228A: Spanish Composition for Heritage Speakers
- SPAN 228: Spanish Composition
- SPAN 204: Advanced Spanish Grammar in Context
Courses for Basic Spanish Language:
- SPAN 141: Intro to Spanish Grammar
- SPAN 130: Intermediate Spanish
- SPAN 122: Intensive Elementary Spanish
- MacDonald, J.E., Fagyal, Zs., Beristain, A., & Turner, R. (in progress). Selected Proceedings from the 51st Linguistic Symposium on Romance Languages. To be published in Isogloss, in Romance Languages and Linguistic Theory Series.
Refereed Journal Articles
- Beristain, A. (2021). Spectral properties of anterior sibilant fricatives in Northern Peninsular Spanish and sibilant-merging and non-merging varieties of Basque. Journal of the International Phonetic Association. 1–32.
- Beristain, A. (2020). Type of early bilingualism effect on the delateralization of /ʎ/ in Basque and Spanish. Linguistic Approaches to Bilingualism, 1–39.
- Beristain, A. (2019). Azpeitiko euskararen hiztegi dialektal bat - II [A dialectal dictionary of Azpeitia Basque - II]. Fontes Linguae Vasconum, 127, 7–58.
- Beristain, A. (2018). Azpeitiko euskararen hiztegi dialektal bat - I [A dialectal dictionary of Azpeitia Basque - I]. Fontes Linguae Vasconum, 125, 7–54.
- Hualde, J.I., & Beristain, A. (2017). Azpeitiko azentuaren gauzatze fonetikoaz [On the acoustic realization of stress in Azpeitia Basque]. Fontes Linguae Vasconum, 123, 65–86.
- Hualde, J.I., Beristain, A., Icardo Isasa, A., & Zhang, J. (2021). Hitz-bukaerako herskariak: Kontsonante talkak [Word-final plosives: Consonant clashes]. ASJU-International Journal in Basque Linguistics and Philology. 53(1-2), 83–106.
Book Chapters in Edited Volumes
- Beristain, A. (2018). The acoustic realization of /s̺/ and /ts̻/ by L1 and L2 Basque speakers. In Aitor Iglesias et al. (Eds.), Linguistic variation in the Basque language and education - Vol. 3 (pp. 60–72). University of the Basque Country Press.
- Hualde, J. I., & Beristain, A. (in press). Euskal hizkera berriak: Azentua eta singularraren eta pluralaren arteko bereizkuntza tokian tokiko hizkeretan eta bertako euskara batuan [Basque translation of ‘New Basque varieties: Accentuation and grammatical number in Standard Basque and local dialects’.] Linguistic Minorities in Europe Online (pp. n.d.). De Gruyter Mouton.
- Hualde, J. I., & Beristain, A. (2020). New Basque varieties: Accentuation and grammatical number in Standard Basque and local dialects. In L. Grenoble, P. Lane, & U. Røyneland (Eds.), Linguistic Minorities in Europe. De Gruyter Mouton.
- Hualde, J.I., & Beristain, A. (2019). Bi alofonia-gertakari Azpeitiko euskaran [Two allophony phenomena in Azpeitia Basque]. In Traineru bete lagun: Iñaki Gaminde omenduz (pp. 209–228). University of the Basque Country Press.
- Hualde, J.I., Beristain, A., & Icardo Isasa, A. (in press). Word-prosodic contrasts and bidialectalism in Basque. In B. Köhnlein & P. Iosad (Eds.), Special Volume on Tonal Accent. Oxford University Press.
Refereed Conference Proceedings
- Hualde, J.I., Beristain, A., Icardo Isasa, A., & Zhang, J. (2019). Lenition of word-final plosives in Basque. In S. Calhoun, P. Escudero, & M. Tabain (Eds.), Proceedings from the 19th International Congress of Phonetic Sciences (ICPhS), 642–646.
- Hualde, J.I., & Beristain, A. (2018). Acoustic correlates of word-accent in Basque. In H. Mixdorff (Ed.), Proceedings from TAL2018, Sixth International Symposium on Tonal Aspects of Languages, 98–102.