Ander is from Azpeitia, in the Basque Country, north of Spain, and he is currently a second-year Spanish Linguistics M.A. student at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. He earned his B.A. degree in English Studies and Linguistics in 2016 at the University of the Basque Country (UPV/EHU), where he graduated as Valedictorian with the Highest Distinction.
In the past, his work has examined the influence of L1 phonology on L2 Basque & L2 Spanish production. Furthermore, under the direction of Dr. José Ignacio Hualde, he has conducted research on Azpeitia Basque and on multiple accentual systems in Basque varieties.
Apart from his academic interests, he enjoys traveling, hiking, going to the beach, water sports, and hanging out with friends.
- Phonology | Basque linguistics | Neutralization processes | Prosody | Cross-linguistic phonological influence | Bilingualism in Basque-speaking regions
- M.A. in Spanish Linguistics, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. (expected May 2018)
- B.A. (with highest distinction) in English Studies & Linguistics, University of the Basque Country (UPV/EHU). 2012-2016.
- Study Abroad: Fort Lewis College (Durango, CO, USA). 2014-2015.
Distinctions / Awards
- The Honor Society of Phi Kappa Phi (2017)
- List of Teachers Ranked as Excellent by their Students: Fall 2016*, Spring 2017*. (*: outstanding rating)
- Extraordinary Graduation Award / Premio Extraordinario Fin de Carrera, University of the Basque Country. (2016)
- Certificate in “Competence Development and Approach Review for the Teaching of Spanish as a Foreign Language", Instituto Cervantes. (2016)
- Tutor of the Year, AY 14-15, Student Success Center, Fort Lewis College. (2015)
- Spanish and Portuguese Small Fellowship Competition ($1,580), UIUC; to conduct research during summer 2017; Project: "Basque dialectal substrate in the realization of /s/ in L2 Spanish" (April, 2017)
- Academic Excellence Grant (€1,000), University of the Basque Country (UPV/EHU); high academic achievement during AY 15-16. (June, 2016)
- Academic Excellence Grant (€1,000), University of the Basque Country (UPV/EHU); high academic achievement during AY 14-15. (June, 2015)
- SPAN 303: The Sounds of Spanish; Section G (Spring 2018).
- SPAN 204: Advanced Spanish Grammar in Context; Sections ADC, ADF, ADJ (Spring 2017), ADE (Spring 2018).
- SPAN 130: Intermediate Spanish; Sections E4, F4, X2 (Fall 2017).
- SPAN 122: Intensive Elementary Spanish; Sections B3, C3, D3 (Fall 2016).