Ander is a Ph.D. Candidate in Hispanic Linguistics with a double concentration in Second Language Acquisition & Teacher Education and Romance Linguistics interested in phonological phenomena in minoritized contexts such as Spanish in the US or Basque in Spain. He graduated from the University of the Basque Country (in Spain) with a B.A. in Linguistics and English in 2016 and joined UIUC to pursue graduate studies in that same year. Since then, he has also taught a wide array of courses on Spanish, Hispanic Linguistics, and Basque language and culture, for which he has received several campus teaching excellence awards. In his spare time, he enjoys hiking, going to the beach, and reading and watching crime fiction.
- Bilingual speech production and perception
- (Co-)Articulation of speech sounds
- Heritage language phonology
- Classroom language acquisition
- Phonemic mergers
- Spanish and Basque dialectology
Ander's field of specialization is the phonetics and phonology of bilingualism. His dissertation is being supervised by Dr. José Ignacio Hualde and Dr. Ryan Shosted, and investigates language-specific acoustic and aerodynamic phenomena in language contact situations with a focus on Spanish speakers in the US. His goal is to better understand the acquisition of coarticulatory patterns in second and heritage languages and propose a phonological model to describe such type of acquisition. His dissertation project has received the special distinction of the 2021 Douglas A. Kibbee Prize in the School of Literatures, Cultures, and Linguistics at UIUC.
- Ph.D., Hispanic Linguistics with a double concentration in Romance Linguistics and Second Language Acquisition & Teacher Education, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. (2018-in progress)
- M.A. (with Distinction), Hispanic Linguistics, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. 2016-2018.
- B.A. (with Highest Distinction), Linguistics and English, Universidad del País Vasco/Euskal Herriko Unibertsitatea (UPV/EHU). 2012-2016.
- Study Abroad, Fort Lewis College (USA). AY 2014-2015.
Awards and Honors
- List of Teachers Ranked as Excellent by their Students at UIUC: 10 out of 10 semesters of instruction. (2016-2021)
- "Outstanding" mention (provided to the 10% top-rated instructors): 9 out of 10 semesters of instruction.
- Darlene Wolf Fellowship in SLA Research, UIUC.
- LAS Impact Award, College of Liberal Arts & Sciences, UIUC.
- Douglas A. Kibbee Prize in the School of Literatures, Cultures, and Linguistics (SLCL) for 'most outstanding' dissertation project, SLCL, UIUC.
- Campus Award for Excellence in Undergraduate Teaching, Office of the Provost, UIUC.
- LAS Award for Excellence in Undergraduate Teaching, College of Liberal Arts & Sciences, UIUC.
- Spanish and Portuguese Graduate Student Teaching Award, Department of Spanish and Portuguese, UIUC.
2020: Timothy J. Rogers Memorial Fellowship in Research and Leadership Achievement, Department of Spanish and Portuguese, UIUC.
2019: Teaching Excellence Award 2018-2019, Illinois Student Government, UIUC.
2016: Extraordinary Graduation Award / Premio Extraordinario Fin de Carrera, University of the Basque Country (UPV/EHU).
2015: Tutor of the Year, AY 14-15, Student Success Center, Fort Lewis College.
- BASQ 402: Intro to Basque Grammar
- BASQ 401: Intro to Basque Language and Culture
- SPAN 490: Advanced Readings in Spanish [Laboratory Phonology]
- SPAN 308: Spanish in the United States
- SPAN 303: The Sounds of Spanish
- SPAN 252: Intro to Hispanic Linguistics
- SPAN 228A: Spanish Composition for Heritage Speakers
- SPAN 228: Spanish Composition
- SPAN 204: Advanced Spanish Grammar in Context
- SPAN 141: Intro to Spanish Grammar
- SPAN 130: Intermediate Spanish
- SPAN 122: Intensive Elementary Spanish
Refereed Journal Articles
- Beristain, A. (2021). Spectral properties of anterior sibilant fricatives in Northern Peninsular Spanish and sibilant-merging and non-merging varieties of Basque. Journal of the International Phonetic Association. 1–32.
- Beristain, A. (2020). Type of early bilingualism effect on the delateralization of /ʎ/ in Basque and Spanish. Linguistic Approaches to Bilingualism, 1–39.
- Beristain, A. (2019). Azpeitiko euskararen hiztegi dialektal bat - II [A dialectal dictionary of Azpeitia Basque - II]. Fontes Linguae Vasconum, 127, 7–58.
- Beristain, A. (2018). Azpeitiko euskararen hiztegi dialektal bat - I [A dialectal dictionary of Azpeitia Basque - I]. Fontes Linguae Vasconum, 125, 7–54.
- Hualde, J.I., & Beristain, A. (2017). Azpeitiko azentuaren gauzatze fonetikoaz [On the acoustic realization of stress in Azpeitia Basque]. Fontes Linguae Vasconum, 123, 65–86.
- Hualde, J.I., Beristain, A., Icardo Isasa, A., & Zhang, J. (2021). Hitz-bukaerako herskariak: Kontsonante talkak [Word-final plosives: Across-word clusters]. ASJU-International Journal in Basque Linguistics and Philology. 53(1-2), 83–106.
Book Chapters in Edited Volumes
- Beristain, A. (2018). The acoustic realization of /s̺/ and /ts̻/ by L1 and L2 Basque speakers. In Aitor Iglesias et al. (Eds.), Linguistic variation in the Basque language and education - Vol. 3 (pp. 60–72). University of the Basque Country Press.
- Hualde, J. I., & Beristain, A. (2020). New Basque varieties: Accentuation and grammatical number in Standard Basque and local dialects. In L. Grenoble, P. Lane, & U. Røyneland (Eds.), Linguistic Minorities in Europe. De Gruyter Mouton.
- Hualde, J.I., & Beristain, A. (2019). Bi alofonia-gertakari Azpeitiko euskaran [Two allophony phenomena in Azpeitia Basque]. In Traineru bete lagun: Iñaki Gaminde omenduz (pp. 209–228). University of the Basque Country Press.
- Hualde, J.I., Beristain, A., & Icardo Isasa, A. (in press). Word-prosodic contrasts and bidialectalism in Basque. In B. Köhnlein & P. Iosad (Eds.), Special Volume on Tonal Accent. Oxford University Press.
Refereed Conference Proceedings
- Hualde, J.I., Beristain, A., Icardo Isasa, A., & Zhang, J. (2019). Lenition of word-final plosives in Basque. Proceedings of the 19th International Congress of Phonetic Sciences 2019, 642–646.
- Hualde, J.I., & Beristain, A. (2018). Acoustic correlates of word-accent in Basque. Tonal Aspects of Language 2018, 98–102.